Thursday, December 20, 2007

MLM Training - Would You Perform Your Own Surgery?

Did you consider MLM training before you dove into your new Network Marketing Business? Training is absolutely essential to your MLM success.

Assuming you have no knowledge of electricity, would you decide to wire your brand new 3700 square foot home yourself?

How about surgery? Would you sit at the kitchen table with a steak knife and just get instructions from your surgeon over the phone on how to perform your own surgery? I doubt it. Yes that is a commercial.... hilarious once the guy realizes this might not be such a brilliant plan after all.

I realize it is hard to know what type of MLM training will help you succeed. The training takes time away from the building process in some ways, but just as it is essential to lay a strong foundation for your new home before beginning to frame the home.

It is equally important to lay a solid foundation of knowledge about the MLM industry, the company, MLM marketing and management skills before diving headlong into promoting.

My first few years in Network Marketing, my up-line didn't have the same definition of what training meant as I did. I was looking for practical MLM training tips and marketing ideas with substance I could use to build my Network Marketing business.

Those first few years, the training I received was focused mostly on product knowledge, which you do need to a certain extent. Basically they had no other marketing suggestions except to call my 50 friends and family again and again, sit in the mall and cold call.

They never considered my family and friends might not be my target market. I had no duplicable system to follow. My up-line's personality allowed for 99 "no's" to get that one "yes". My personality does not.

I needed a duplicable system. Cold calling in the mall, calling family and friends over and over is not a duplicable system. The rest of the MLM training I received was related more to "how to give a presentation" and "sell the prospect".

Network Marketing is not about "selling" the prospect on your "deal". Network Marketing is a teaching and mentoring business built on building relationships with others and truly trying to help others meet a need.

Helping others meet their needs and goals will help you to meet yours as well! The Golden Rule is quite applicable: "Treat others as you would have them treat you."

MLM training should be as individual as it is essential to the success of the distributor. Each person comes to the MLM industry with different needs, MLM goals and skills. All people can be successful in this business if they understand a few things:

1) They will NOT get rich quickly. (The average time it takes to make a desirable income is 3 to 5 years. Can it be done quicker? Of course!)

2) They WILL be required to WORK in their business. (It will not fall in their lap!)

3) Network Marketing Training and Up-Line support is essential to your business (Most of us can't succeed alone!)

4) The business model of the chosen MLM Company is crucial to the success it's distributors

5) Do you have a duplicable system for attracting prospects to your business?